Is there anything better than comfort food?
We got back from Mexico this weekend with some upset tummies. It was cold & rainy, so all I could think about was soup! I was going to make some chicken noodle soup, but for some reason chicken & rice sounded so much better.
I made a soup that's sort of a fusion of both of these and it turned out so yummy. Instead of a DIY project, I thought a recipe would be a fun change-up for today's handmade monday. It's crazy simple and great for rainy days. The best part is that I almost always have all these ingredients already on hand, so it's usually inexpensive.
6-8 cups of chicken broth (I used 8 cups of water & 8 bouillon cubes)
1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 lb of chicken
1.5 cups of rice
1. Cook your chicken in olive oil & lightly season with garlic salt.
2. Cook your rice as instructed on the bag.
While the chicken & rice cooks, prepare the following:
3. Place 6-8 cups of water in your crock pot or cast iron & add bouillon cubes. Bouillon cubes are tasty and easy and fast. I'm all about that, but if boiling down chicken bones suits your fancy, then go right ahead. You can also buy pre-made chicken broth.
4. Chop of a few stalks of celery, along with some carrots. I put almost a full latte bowl (2 cups?) of each in ours because I think it makes it taste really fresh.
5. When your chicken is cooked all the way through cut it into cubes or shred it.
6. Dump the can of cream of chicken soup into the broth and add your seasoning.
7. Add the other ingredients when the cream of chicken is mixed in and "dissolved" and stir.
8. Let simmer for desired amount of time. I made mine in the afternoon and let it sit until dinner time. Yum!
Serve with crackers or bread. You just can't go wrong!
What's your favorite comfort food? Mine is mac & cheese...ALL.the.WAY.