Nothing goes better together, in my book, than coconut and coffee...especially in the summertime. I wanted to share with y'all my favorite cold brew method and recipe. Read below for the coffee recipe, as well as the easy peasy way to get some delicious toasted coconut simple syrup. Did you know you can make your own custom flavored syrups and it is seriously as easy as 1-2-3? I also included some tips and links for what you need for this fool-proof method.
If you don't have a toddy brewing container, I suggest using the Pioneer Woman's recipe here. It's messier and more time consuming but delicious! The toddy is a great investment if you love iced coffee as much as we do around here. I use this one.
INGREDIENTS & TOOLS:
12 oz coffee beans
1 cup coconut
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Cold Brew Concentrate:
1. Place two cups of unsweetened coconut on a baking sheet lined with foil and broil on high until lightly toasted, tossing every now and then. It usually takes 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on it and don't walk away! It burns quickly. Set aside.
2. Grind beans on the coarsest setting.
3. Follow directions for toddy brewing container. (Make sure the plug and filter are in place, place one cup of water, half the coffee grounds, ONE cup of the toasted coconut, 3 cups of water, then the other half of the coffee grounds. Wait five minutes and then add the remaining 3 cups of water. Do not stir, but lightly use the back of a spoon to press down on the grounds to make sure they're all wet. When adding water, go in circular motion, gently and slowly.
4. Let sit for 12-24 hours, then remove plug/stopper so it can drain into glass pitcher.
Toasted Coconut Simple Syrup Recipe:
1. Stir one cup of sugar into one cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer on medium-high heat and keep at a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and add the other cup of toasted coconut. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
3. Strain into a mason jar. Some coconut bits will remain, so you can strain again or let it be.
4. Let cool for a couple of hours in the refrigerator. Will keep for 1-2 weeks in the fridge.
The perfect cup of toasted coconut iced coffee:
1. Pour a tablespoon of the simple syrup into a glass.
2. Add ice.
3. Add 2 parts iced coffee concentrate.
4. Add 1 part water and a splash of half & half.
5. Stir and sip :)
-Keep in mind that this makes a concentrate. Therefore, you will need to dilute it with water and/or cream or milk. I usually go off of color, but 1 part coffee and 1 part water and 1 part milk will get you started in the right direction.
-Using unsweetened and unsulphured coconut creates less chunks of coconut that need to be strained. Bob's Red Mill from Whole Foods has a large bag that has nice large chunks of coconut.
-You can literally use ANYTHING to make your simple syrup! Lavender, vanilla pods, any herb or spice. The combinations are endless.